At ScribeSpace, we are working on a multi-blog series to help educate our customers about the basics of search engine optimization, and how to use it to make their sites search engine-compatible using content marketing.
This week, we’ll be talking about: keywords!
What is SEO?
- Search engine optimization
- It’s how search engines find & rank your site
How you can do your own SEO:
- Research the right keywords your customers are using to find you
- Insert the appropriate keywords into your text
- Build internal links
- Build external links using business listings
- Include meta descriptions, meta titles, and ALT tags for your photo
Using keywords in content
You want to put relevant search terms in the body of the content on each page. You want to focus your keywords on your niche market. You need to know how consumers are trying to find businesses like yours, so you can make your website search-engine friendly.
Examples of using keywords
The business: a divorce law firm in New York City
- Keyword research – what words and phrases do people type into search engines to find divorce law firms in New York City? Examples may include “NYC divorce lawyer,” “New York family law attorney,” and “divorce lawyer in New York City”
- Keyword + GEO = make your content focused on the geographical areas you serve. The attorney does not want clients from California, so target the content for New York.
- Inserting keywords naturally into content – use about 1 keyword per every 200 words. Try to be as natural sounding as possible. “The law firm of Jones & Jones houses a team of divorce attorneys who serve clients in and around New York City.” “To contact a divorce attorney in NYC today, give our firm a call.”
- Use synonyms – think about the different words people use to describe your products or services. “Lawyer,” “attorney,” “law firm,” “legal counsel.” Use a mix of singular & plural.
- Keep content relevant – the overall content on the page should match the keywords you use.
How do I find keywords?
How do you know which keywords best benefit your site? You can take guesses, but using some online tools can help you get the most out of search terms:
- Free services, such as Google Analytics, offer terrific insights about which keywords will drive targeted traffic to your site.
- You can also use paid services – we recommend SEO Moz and Wordtracker.
Also, just write out different iterations of how users might find your site. Do you run a dog walking service in Santa Barbara, CA? Users might type in terms like “dog walker Santa Barbara,” “dog walking companies in Santa Barbara,” “dog walkers Santa Barbara,” and “Santa Barbara pet walkers.”
The SEO experts at ScribeSpace know just how to insert the right keywords for your targeted audience into our blogs and website content. If you’re unsure of what to do, use our knowledge and experience to take your digital marketing to the next level.